The teeth help us with oral functions such as biting, chewing, tearing, and also allow us to maintain a pleasing facial appearance. When a tooth is extracted, it can lead to a lot of drawbacks, such as a hindered ability to bite and chew, displeasing oral aesthetics, and many more. Hence, we suggest patients with missing teeth get them replaced with prosthetic ones at the earliest.
How do missing teeth affect facial appearance?
Being able to smile wholeheartedly and without being conscious of one’s appearance is a great feeling. But, if a tooth is removed from the mouth, it leaves a displeasing gap. It can lead to a lot of embarrassment when someone mocks you or points out the missing tooth. Posing for selfies or greeting anyone with a confident smile would be easier said than done.
If that wasn’t bad enough, a missing tooth could gradually alter the facial shape if left unrestored. When a gap is left in the jawbone, it allows the adjoining teeth to drift from their positions, which can give rise to a malocclusion. Over time, it can also alter the jawbone shape due to shrinkage or deterioration.
That Weird Feeling in Your Mouth!
A missing tooth could leave you feeling weird every time your tongue senses the gap. It is quite an uncomfortable feeling and can be lingering around one’s mind. Even the way you bite and chew food, or pronounce words every time you talk could change significantly. Over a few years, the adjoining teeth could loosen from their socket and result in further tooth loss.
What’s the solution?
Staying clear of such drawbacks for good would require a worthy restoration. As suggested by dentists from all over the world, dental implants are known to be the best replacement for natural teeth. They are made from a metal implant, which is ideally made from titanium, and a porcelain crown made from dental-grade ceramic to mimic the missing tooth. Together, they restore a natural tooth perfectly and offer excellent longevity.
What are the advantages of choosing a dental implant?
- Implants are highly durable, which makes them last for several years without hassle. With optimum care, they are known to last upwards of 10 years.
- The implant crown can be customized to match the exact appearance of the adjoining natural teeth. This helps to keep it under disguise, thereby avoiding being spotted.
- The implant stud fills the gap left by the missing tooth, thereby preventing the natural teeth from drifting from their positions. This keeps you from developing any bite-related issues or a change in the shape of the jawbone.
- Once an implant is placed in the mouth, you will be able to bite and chew food as you used to earlier. Also, your phonetics will be restored to normal.
- The implant doesn’t cause any discomfort when you bite or chew food. It feels and functions much like a natural tooth.
Reach out to us on call or schedule an online appointment to discuss more regarding dental implants and also plan your treatment accordingly.